Hi there, reader! I hope your Sunday is being filled with sitcoms, slippers, and another noun that starts with the letter S. As for me, it’s been pretty slow–the most eventful thing being that I walked out of my apartment this morning ready to go to the grocery story only to realize halfway down the stairs that I was still in my slippers. If they weren’t an obnoxious bright yellow pair with giant smiley faces on them, maybe I would’ve continued down the stairs. But in my 26 years of life, I’ve yet to reach that level of bravery.
Anyway, I’m writing today–not with a recipe, but with a few recommendations I guess you could say. But maybe that sounds too formal. Let’s just call it, a few indulgences that make life a little richer. Music, movies, podcasts, and other things to keep you company in the kitchen, on a grocery store run, or while you patiently wait for dough to chill or cookies to cool. Because if you can make something more fun, why the heck not?
So without further ado, here are a few recommenda– … indulgences. 😉
What I’m dancing to:
This week I went to a Thunder basketball game and freaking Drake was there…THE Drake. I know. So naturally, I had include one of favorite Drake songs to this weeks playlist entitled “A Mellow Morning.” If I had to sum up this playlist in one sentence it’s this: the magic of light rain during morning golden hour. I’ve linked my Spotify playlist here, or if you don’t have Spotify I’ll list the songs below. Enjoy in no particular order!
- “Ruin” by Shawn Mendes
- “Hear You Me” by Jimmy Eat World
- “No Other Love” by Chuck Prophet
- “Wicked Way” by Benjamin Taylor
- “Daughters – Home Demo” by John Mayer
- “Beast of Burden” by The Rolling Stones
- “Love in Real Time” by The Maine
- “Orange Magic” by Julia Michaels
- “That’s What Love Is” by Justin Bieber
- “Eyes” by Rogue Wave
- “Fool for You Anyway” by Foreigner
- “Lover” by Taylor Swift
- “Hold On, We’re Going Home” by Drake
- “idontwannabeyouanymore” by Billie Eilish
What I’m listening to:
I honestly don’t know how I made it through the day before I started listening to podcasts and audiobooks. I listen to all kinds–scary, self-help, interviews, fiction, etc. Here is a list of my top picks of the week in no particular order!
- podcast – “We are supported by… Reese Witherspoon” – Armchair Expert, episode 22
- First of all, I love every episode of Armchair Expert. Dax, Monica, and Kristin are the best. But as a woman, if you’re looking to be inspired and empowered, this is the episode you need to listen to. Loved every minute of it!
- podcast “Susie Moore on How to Stop Stressing, Start Living & Let it Be Easy” – Don’t Keep Your Day Job, episode 201
- Ever since I listened to this episode, I look at every situation and ask myself “how can I let this be easy?” Truly an inspiration episode and applicable in all aspects of life.
- podcast “Kaboom (S2E6)” – Parks and Recollection
- This podcast always makes me smile and laugh. It’s a perfect pick-me-up and I love hearing all of the behind the scenes stuff of how the show Parks and Recreation was made. I’m an aspiring writer myself so it’s super cool to hear what was happening in the writers room.
- audiobook – The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
- If you love stories that have you hanging on the edge of your seat and keep you guessing till the very end, this is the book for you. I listened to the whole thing in just a matter of days because it was so captivating.
- audiobook – The Third Door by Alex Banayan
- I’m currently listening to this book and am about 2/3 of the way through. I first heard of it through Cathy Heller’s podcast, Don’t Keep Your Day Job, and I’m really happy I finally started it. Alex is really easy to listen to and one of the takeaway messages is something that everyone could benefit from hearing. No matter what you want to do with your life–an experience, career, or goal–there’s always a third door.
What I’m watching:
Okay, sometimes watching a movie or TV can be a little difficult if you’re busy in the kitchen. But I’m the type of person who always likes to have something going on and when it’s not music, podcasts, or audiobooks, I have a a TV show or movie playing in the background. But also, there’s a lot of downtime with baking–waiting for things to chill, cool, rise, bake, etc. Or when you’re ready to enjoy whatever it is you’ve baked, might as well kick your feet up and watch something for fun. Right? Here are a few things I’ve watched and loved this week!
- movie – Single All The Way (watched on Netflix)
- I’m always on the lookout for good Christmas/Holiday movies and it can be challenging to find one that isn’t too cheesy. This one, however, pulled the heart strings in all the right ways and had a great story line! Would definitely watch again.
- movie – Queenpins (watched on Paramount+)
- Loved every minute of this story. It’s quirky, funny, has a great cast, and it’s overall just really truly well written. Plus, it’s based on a true story!
- movie – Tick, Tick, Boom (watched on Netflix)
- This one is definitely one of my new favorites. I love Andrew Garfield and his performance in this movie really blew me away. I laughed, I cried, I did all the things. I’m not always a fan of musicals, but this one was fantastic.
- show – Ghosts (watched on HBO Max)
- It’s not what you think. Despite the show being called Ghosts, this show is a comedy. Not a spooky paranormal show that will leave you with several sleepless nights. The ghosts in this show are quirky, full of life, and downright funny. This is definitely a show that I could see being a comfort show that I have running in the background. Love it!
I hope you find something you’re interested in on this list! If not, there will be more next Sunday. And hopefully I’ll have a slightly better way of organizing these lists by then too. It’s a work in progress. 😉
Enjoy the rest of your week!